Mother shares shocking pictures of her swollen eyes, painful rash and SCARRING after a severe reaction to hair dye – and reveals it took doctors six MONTHS to find out what caused it
- Georgina Carter, 26, from Cambridgeshire, got painful rash after trip to salon
- She was left with swollen eyes and also chemical burns on her face and by ear
- She didn’t realise it was due to dye as she’d changed hair colour many times
A mother-of-one has revealed how she suffered a severe allergic reaction after having her hair dyed at a salon.
Georgina Carter, 26, from March, Cambridgeshire, explained how she was left with swollen eyes and a painful rash all over her face and body following a routine trip to the hairdressers.
At the time, she said that she did not realise it had been caused by the hair dye, as she had changed her hair colour countless times in the past.
It took doctors six months to discover that the rash was caused by an allergic reaction to hair dye.
Georgina Carter, 26, from March, Cambridgeshire, has revealed how she suffered a severe allergic reaction (above) after having her hair dye at a salon
Georgina noticed that she had swollen eyes after having her hair dyed, before getting a rash over her face and body (right)
Georgina explained how she went to get her hair dyed and eyebrows tinted at a salon in March this year.
The mother – who has previously trained as a beauty therapist – had a patch test beforehand, but didn’t suffer any reaction so thought she would be safe to go ahead.
Revealed: The little-known allergy triggers lurking in your…
Woman who hated her ‘Pinocchio’ nose reveals how she spent…
Share this article
A week after her treatments, Georgina noticed a small chemical burn appear on her ear, thinking it was eczema or psoriasis at first.
However, within another week a rash had spread across her face and body, her eyes had swollen, and her skin dry and itchy.
Georgina (pictured with partner Matthew before she suffered the allergic reaction) explained how she had a patch test beforehand, but didn’t have any reaction to it
Georgina (after having the allergic reaction) explained how she has been left with scarring on her chest (above) following the routine trip to the salon
Georgina explained: ‘One week after I dyed my hair, I had a chemical burn appear on my ear and within a week this had turned into a burn on my face and within days it had spread to a full body rash.
‘My eyes had also swollen, my skin had cracked and dried and my whole body was itchy to the point where I was sleeping with ice packs on my body.
‘I had no idea it was an allergic reaction, even A&E, three different doctors and a private dermatologist didn’t know what it was.’
‘I tried a range of prescription steroid creams and different moisturisers that had been prescribed and some that I bought from the shop.
Georgina (during the allergic reaction) explained how she developed a painful and itchy rash over her face and body
A week after having her hair dyed, she noticed a chemical burn behind her ear (left) and a similar one on her face (right)
Georgina had 19 different tests, which included a test to rule out lupus, before an allergy patch test over six days finally found the cause of her reaction.
She said that she is still unsure why she had such a severe reaction to PPD, after years of dying her hair.
‘I’ve always dyed my hair, I trained as a hairdresser and beauty therapist through college and loved changing my hair. I’ve been black, blonde, brown, pink, purple and red, pretty much any colour you can think of,’ said Georgina.
‘I’m not sure why I reacted, maybe it was because my hormones after having my baby had changed but we are still unsure.
Georgina (pictured with Matthew before she had the reaction) explained how she’s dyed her hair countless times in the past
Georgina (pictured with son Blake and partner Matthew before the reaction) believes the sudden reaction may be due to hormonal changes caused after having her first baby
Georgina has been left with scars from the reaction on her face and chest area which means she is now more cautious about what she wears when she is out and about.
She will no longer be able to have her full head dyed but will be able to have highlights that use bleach instead of PPD.
‘I’m upset that I can’t dye my hair again but I am able to have highlights using bleach as this contains no PPD but I still panic each time just in case,’ she said.
‘I’m devastated that I don’t have the freedom anymore to do what I want with my hair.
Georgina (pictured with scarring on her chest in a snap with partner Matthew and son Blake) explained how it took doctors six months to find out the cause of the reaction
Georgina (pictured left and right while suffering the allergic reaction) explained how a rash spread over her face and body after she got her hair dyed
Georgina had a allergy patch test over six days (above) before the cause of the reaction was finally discovered
‘I am more cautious of what I wear, although I try not to let it bother me, people who I’m around daily like my friends, family and workmates, all know what I’ve been through so don’t draw attention to it anymore, but it was a big shock for everyone when the reaction came out.’
Georgina urged others to always have a patch test before having their hair dyed, following her experience
‘Make sure as a hairdresser or beautician, you are not completing a treatment without a patch test and as a client, never risk having a treatment without one by thinking, “it won’t happen to me”, she said.
‘To anyone in a similar situation, don’t panic, eventually doctors and dermatologists will find an answer. It’s a long journey but it will get better.’
Source: Read Full Article