Some were surprised when Gareth Southgate opted not to call up the Crystal Palace right-back, 21, on Wednesday for the upcoming Euro qualifiers Czech Republic and Montenegro.
Southgate did praise Wan-Bissaka – who is eligible for DR Congo having represented the African nation at Under-20 level – but insisted he would not cap players purely to prevent them from playing elsewhere.
Eagles boss Hodgson said: “My eyebrows weren't raised – I don't see why they should be.
“He is picked for the England U-21s which in itself is a very, very big honour.
“It is good to know that reading Gareth's comments that he is obviously aware of Aaron Wan-Bissaka and what he can do.
“No, I don't think Aaron, myself or anyone at the club should start jumping onto media speculation regarding the player. It is up to him to keep playing well.
“We believe in him. We believe he has a very,very good future at the age of 21.
“At that age, you have got an awful lot of football and an awful lot of time to play for England in the future. It had no effect on us whatsoever.”
Wan-Bissaka has the chance to show Southgate what he is missing when Palace head to Watford for the FA Cup quarter-final on Saturday.
Hodgson will be without long-term absentee Mamadou Sakho, who had a knee operation at the end of February after injuring against Leicester.
It had been thought the French star would miss the rest of the season but Hodgson revealed his centre-back is doing everything he can to make a comeback before the campaign is out.
The 71-year-old said: “He is recovering from the operation. It is a weekly thing. We hope he will recover. He is working very hard to recover but he only had the operation just after a week ago.
“It is a while before we see him back even in rehabilitation and then we will see how many weeks we have left in the season.
“He is adamant he doesn't want to write off the season. He will do his level best to get back but whether the injury will prevent that, we will have to wait and see.”
Source: Read Full Article