Probation officer says thug who murdered man should have been in jail

Probation officer says violent criminal who stabbed young father to death after early release from jail SHOULD have been put back behind bars before the killing

  • Timothy Deakin, 21, stabbed Michael Hoolickin, 27, to death in Manchester, 2016 
  • Deakin was on licence having served almost five years for another brutal attack 
  • Inquest into death determined if Deakin should have been in jail before stabbing
  • Probation officer said she believed the threshold for recall had been ‘firmly met’
  • Deakin previously found guilty at trial and given a minimum of 27 years in prison

Probation officer Natalia Atkinson (pictured)  has said the violent criminal Timothy Deakin, 21, who brutally stabbed a young father Michael Hoolickin, 27, to death  should have been behind bars before the killing

A probation officer has said the violent criminal who brutally stabbed a young father to death outside a pub in a frenzied attack should have been behind bars before the killing.

Timothy Deakin, 21, who was on licence from prison having served almost five years for a separate savage attack, knifed Michael Hoolickin five times in October 2016, after the 27-year-old told him off for beating a woman. 

An inquest into Mr Hoolickin’s death was dramatically halted in June last year after the coroner called for an investigation into whether Deakin should have been recalled to prison before the fatal stabbing.

As the inquest resumed today, Deakin’s probation case manager Natalia Atkinson told the court that she believed the threshold for recall had been ‘firmly met’. 

Ms Atkinson described Deakin at one of ’50 high risk offenders’ she was dealing with at the time. 

The violent thug was suspected of carrying weapons, dealing drugs, mixing with a defendant from his previous conviction and had even failed 11 of his 15 drugs tests – testing positive for cocaine and cannabis. 

Yet despite Ms Atkinson claiming to have alerted senior probation officers about increasing concerns over Deakin’s risk of harm, he had not been sent back to prison.

Having been at large for eight months, Deakin stabbed the father-of-one and was ordered to serve a minimum of 27 years in prison.   


Savage attack: Deakin (left), who was on licence from prison having served almost five years for a separate savage attack, murdered Michael Hoolickin in October 2016 after the 27-year-old told him off for beating a woman. Having been at large for eight months, Deakin stabbed the father-of-one (pictured right) and was ordered to serve a minimum of 27 years in prison

The inquest heard Deakin was let out of prison on February 23, 2016, and was subjected to ten conditions – including that he initially stay at a hostel for newly-released offenders and abide by a curfew.

‘My case load was excessive – I believe the evidence suggests at times it was 170 per cent capacity,’ Ms Atkinson said. 


  • Woman and her sons die after she was forced to stay in a…


    Australia appears set to offer asylum to Saudi teen who fled…

Share this article

‘The number of previous convictions and sanctions on record were indicative of someone who was effectively lawless,’ she told the court.

She described Deakin’s behaviour as ‘feral’ and ‘animalistic’ and said she felt he had enjoyed the ‘reputation’ his original offence had given him among his peer group. 

She admitted she was unaware at the time that Deakin had in fact been testing positive for cocaine, as she was ‘not aware’ where to look for drug results. 

Lawless and feral: Ms Atkinson described Deakin’s behaviour as ‘feral’ and ‘animalistic’ and said she felt he had enjoyed the ‘reputation’ his original offence had given him among his peer group. By June 2016, Deakin had been seen carrying weapons and spending time with his co-defendant from his previous offence

By June 2016, Deakin had been seen carrying weapons and spending time with his co-defendant from his previous offence.

Ms Atkinson said she then decided all options had been ‘exhausted’ and believed he should have been recalled to prison.

‘If it was my job to keep the public safe, then Mr Deakin wasn’t engaging in any of that,’ she said.

The court heard that for recall to be granted, a case manager’s recommendation has to be approved by a senior probation officer, before being signed off by a higher level manager. 

Ms Atkinson said she sent an email to a senior probation officer highlighting the intelligence from police about Deakin carrying weapons in June 2016, but received no reply.

Speaking at the earlier inquest hearing, Michael’s father Garry Hoolickin, a retired footballer with more than 200 appearances for Oldham Athletic, said: ‘As a family we want a definite change. We don’t want this to happen to another family. It’s nearly killed myself and my wife. It’s absolutely disgraceful, I think, what’s going on’

By that time, Deakin had already received a final warning from the probation service, the court heard.

Ms Atkinson said that after receiving no reply, she emailed a duty senior probation officer, David Rhoden, for advice following ongoing pressure from police about Deakin’s case.  

Speaking at the earlier inquest hearing, Michael’s father Garry Hoolickin, a retired footballer with more than 200 appearances for Oldham Athletic, said: ‘As a family we want a definite change.

‘We don’t want this to happen to another family. It’s nearly killed myself and my wife. It’s absolutely disgraceful, I think, what’s going on.’

Source: Read Full Article

Satellite images show Anak Krakatau volcano decimated by eruptions

Satellite images show how Indonesia’s deadly Anak Krakatau volcano has been decimated by violent eruptions as the number injured in the tsunami leaps to over 7,000

  • Indonesian authorities say 7,202 were injured, an increase of 5,707 from before
  • Anak Krakatau erupted on Saturday last week resulting in a violent tsunami
  • The tsunami struck the Indonesian coast killing 426 people and injuring many

Radar data from satellites, converted into images, shows Indonesia’s Anak Krakatau island volcano is dramatically smaller following a weekend eruption that triggered a deadly tsunami. 

Satellite photos aren’t available because of cloud cover but radar images from a Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency satellite taken before and after the eruption show the volcano’s southwestern flank has disappeared.

Dave Petley, head of research and innovation at Sheffield University who analyzed similar images from a European Space Agency satellite, said they support the theory that a landslide, most of it undersea, caused the tsunami that killed at least 430 people on Saturday evening.

Indonesian authorities said on Friday more than 7,202 were injured in the disaster, an increase of 5,707, as they trimmed the official death toll to 426 – down from 430. 

Satellite images revealed on Friday show the Anak Krakatau volcano has shrunk significantly since the series of eruptions

Anak Krakatau erupted on Satrurday last week, causing a tsunami after undersea landslides occurred due to volcanic activity

Previously, the number of displaced – including many left homeless – stood at 22,0000 but that figure has now jumped to just over 40,000, according to the latest tally. Some 7,202 people suffered injuries, jumping from 1,495.

‘The challenge now is to interpret what might be happening on the volcano, and what might happen next,’ he wrote in a blog.

Indonesian authorities are warning people to stay away a kilometer (less than a mile) from the Sunda Strait coastline because of the risk of another tsunami.

JAXA’s post-eruption image shows concentric waves radiating from the island, which experts say is caused by ongoing eruptions.

Anak Krakatau, which means child of Krakatau, is the offspring of the infamous Krakatau volcano that affected global climate with a massive eruption in 1883.

Anak Krakatau first rose above sea level in 1929, according to Indonesia’s volcanology agency, and has been increasing its land mass since then.

Anak (child) Krakatoa volcano erupting, as seen from a ship on the Sunda Straits. Authorities raised the alert level for the erupting volcano to the second-highest


  • Fears of a SECOND tsunami in Indonesia grow as volcano…


    Child survivors suffer fevers and dehydration as medical…


  • Tsunami death toll soars over 400 as rescuers scramble to…

Share this article

Authorities have warned that the crater of Anak Krakatau, or child of Krakatau, remains fragile, raising fears of another collapse and tsunami, and have urged residents to stay away from the coast.

The volcano has been rumbling on and off since July but has been particularly active since Sunday, spewing lava and rocks, and sending huge clouds of ash up to 3,000 metres into heavily overcast skies.

The national geological agency, in raising the alert level to the second-highest, set a 5km exclusion zone around the island.

Antonius Ratdomopurbo, secretary of the geological agency, said: ‘Since December 23, activity has not stopped, We anticipate a further escalation.’

Anak Krakatau, ‘Child of Krakatoa’, is surrounded by a small group of islands and located in the Sunda Strait between Java and Sumatra

The tsunami hit Sunda strait at Sumur village in Pandeglang, Banten province, Indonesia, where homes were left devastated by the 16ft wave

Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, national disaster agency spokesman, said: ‘There is a danger of more eruptions. People [near the volcano] could be hit by hot rocks, pyroclastic flows and thick ash.’

Authorities raised the crater’s status to high alert, the second-highest warning on the country’s four-point danger scale, while aviation officials ordered flights to be redirected away from the area.

Kus Hendratno, a senior official at the Krakatoa observatory, said: ‘We’ve raised the status of [the volcano] since this morning because there’s been a change in the eruption pattern.’ 

The new flows posed no immediate danger to area towns as the volcano sits in the middle of the Sunda Strait between Java and Sumatra islands.

But the status change sparked new fears with many residents already scared and refusing to return to their communities over fears of another tsunami.

Survivors resting at a relief centre in Kalianda in Lampung province after the devastating tsunami struck on Saturday

The powerful tsunami struck Saturday night without warning, sweeping over popular beaches and inundating tourist hotels and coastal communities

Source: Read Full Article

Paris’ violent protesters torch Macron’s authority

London: The most violent political protests to hit Paris in a decade took almost everyone by surprise on the weekend – even some of the protesters.

But they have tipped France’s president Emmanuel Macron into a serious political crisis. Until now his presidency was bleeding air like a deflating balloon. This could be the moment his authority suddenly bursts.

A demonstrator watches a burning car near the Champs-Elysees during a demonstration on Saturday.Credit:AP

One Le Monde columnist wondered on Sunday if May 1968 was playing out again: if this is a revolution, a “long and violent challenge to power” rather than just a pre-Christmas venting of anger.

The gilets jaunes, the fluorescent yellow jacket-wearing campaigners, came from all over France in what had begun as an anti-tax crusade. It became the seed to a bigger crystallisation of dissatisfaction.

The movement was a loose alliance of mostly young people in rural and regional France. They were angry about a diesel tax increase of 7.6 euro cents a litre, which is designed to align diesel and petrol taxes after new research exposed the particle pollution put out by diesel engines.

“Those who complain about higher fuel prices also demand action against air pollution because their children get sick,” Macron said, in response to early complaints about the tax.

A demonstrator waves the French flag on a burning barricade on the Champs-ElyseesCredit:AP

But his typically high-handed response enraged dissenters. In rural areas, outside the reach of light rail or Uber, it was seen as yet another slap in the face from a disdainful leader.

“Every month we end up 500 euros in the red,” one woman from Lorraine in north-east France told AFP on the weekend. “This violence, it’s legitimate.”

In mid-November they got organised on Facebook and started blocking roads across the country. The very first day saw 280,000 yellow vests on the nation’s streets.

A week later, a protest in Paris turned violent.

At this stage the gilets jaunes were no longer alone, and the protests were becoming a wider revolt against Macron’s policies and leadership style. One poll found two-thirds of the country supported the protesters.

France’s President Emmanuel Macron, Interior Minister Christophe Castaner, centre right, and Paris police Prefect Michel Delpuech, right, arrive to visit firefighters and riot police officers the day after a demonstration, in Paris.Credit:AP

This weekend was the third successive Saturday citizens’ march in Paris organised on social media. It began peacefully but quickly went out of control.

Interior Minister Christophe Castaner claimed that “professional rioters” had organised the violence, hijacking the movement and exploiting it for their own ends.

Journalists on the ground said it was not as simple as that.

AFP reporters observed genuine gilets jaunes in the heart of the action, wearing balaclavas, building the barricades against police. They also saw many “experienced protesters” from both the hard left and far right, eager to clash with police.

A police car burns after clashes between police and protesters, in Marseille, southern France, on Saturday.Credit:AP

“They knew how to burn a barricade or a car, and when the police first tear gas they gave advice to those around them, telling them not to panic and not to run,” AFP journalists reported.

A number of news organisations also drew attention to the fact that a large amount of fake news – pictures of bloody faces taken from protests in Spain last year, videos from other unrelated protests – had been disseminated via social media in the lead up to the protests.

Saturday's riot featured anti-capitalist slogans and saw far-left graffiti (one scrawl on the Arc de Triomphe read “topple the bourgeoisie”). Members of far-right groups were also in the crowd, reportedly having organised on social media to join the fray.

A worker about to clean graffiti saying ” Macron resignation” on the Arc de Triomphe.Credit:AP

Police made almost 380 arrests on Saturday. The Paris prosecutor said many of them had “come to fight police while claiming to be part of the gilets jaunes movement”.

Some gilets jaunes protesters told reporters they believed the violence would damage their cause.

There were signs on Sunday that the government would toughen its line rather than compromise with the protest movement, which is demanding a reversal of the fuel tax hike and a rise in the minimum wage.

A week ago, Macron had responded to the protests by promising talks with the demonstrators – though it was hard to work out who he was going to talk to, as the movement had no obvious leader.

A woman and a burned out vehicle, near the Arc de Triomphe, in Paris, on Sunday, local time.Credit:AP

At crisis talks at the Elysee Palace on Sunday, Macron asked prime minister Eduoard Philippe to meet representatives of the demonstrators, along with other parliamentary party leaders.

But Macron also asked his Minister of the Interior to look at whether police procedures needed to be reviewed for the expected future protests, next weekend and beyond.

There were conflicting reports that they had discussed declaring a state of emergency.

His political opponents are demanding Macron dissolve parliament and hold elections.

For the first year of Emmanuel Macron’s presidency, observers were surprised at the muted level of protests in a country, and a capital, where political protests are traditionally fierce.

A burned out car and the slogan, “Babylon burns” in Paris on Sunday, local time.Credit:AP

There was a sense the country was giving this populist centrist a chance to deliver on his promise to solve France’s problems with a clean break from the old political system.

But a third of voters had preferred the far-right Marine Le Pen to his offering, many abstained from the ballot altogether, and the left have become increasingly angry at Macron’s reforms which have, mostly, concentrated on helping businesses and the top end of town.

He inherited a country itching for a revolution, and if he is seen as having failed to deliver one, the French may have decided to inflict another.

Source: Read Full Article