Buckingham Palace deny claims aides ‘discussed stripping Meghan Markle and Prince Harry of Duke and Duchess titles’

Want the most up-to-date celebrity exclusives sent straight to your inbox every day? Sign up now and join the club!

Buckingham Palace have denied claims royal aides discussed stripping Meghan Markle and Prince Harry of their Duke and Duchess titles.

Royal aides were said to have discussed the option of stripping the couple of their Duke and Duchess of Sussex titles.

Meanwhile, it was also claimed that those within the Palace warned that “nothing is off the table” as their interview with Oprah Winfrey is set to air.

But, another insider said how the titles, given to the couple by the Queen after their wedding, will not be stripped as “titles are not up for debate”.

  • Inside Gayle King's stunning home where 'Meghan Markle's bombshell Oprah Winfrey chat is taking place'

  • Meghan Markle's 'dear friend' details who the 'real Meg' is amid 'bullying allegations'

Get exclusive celebrity stories and fabulous photoshoots straight to your inbox with OK!'s daily newsletter. You can sign up at the top of the page.

According to The Sunday Times, courtiers are said to have discussed the option to strip the pair of their titles, on the grounds the dukedom was given on the understanding that Harry, 36, would be a senior member of the royal family.

The consideration is said to have been described as a “big step” that would “tear up the Sandringham summit agreement”, which outlines terms of the couple’s departure from royal life.

But, a source in the royal household is said to have revealed the Queen is “cheesed off” by the broadcast.

The insider added: “I don’t think that after this interview anything is off the table, to be honest.”


Another said close to the Queen did not deny there had been such discussions but said the “titles are not up for debate”.

Buckingham Palace has now told OK! online the reports were “pure speculation”. While Meghan and Harry’s representatives declined to comment.

It comes after a teaser clip of 39 year old Meghan and Harry’s Oprah interview, which has been slammed by Piers Morgan, revealed Meghan felt “liberated” after stepping down from her role as a senior royal.

In the footage Meghan, who was recently defended by her former Suits co-star, states that “I’m ready to talk”.

The pregnant mother-of-one also explained that she previously wouldn’t have been able to give an interview without members of the Royal Family's team present.

Meghan went on to describe the opportunity to speak on the CBS prime time show as “liberating”.

  • Download OK! magazine's FREE app and get all the latest gossip straight to your phone

  • Sign up to our daily newsletter for the BEST celebrity house tours and BIGGEST exclusive interviews

In the clip, released on Friday, Oprah says to her friend and neighbour: “I called you either February or March 2018 before the wedding asking, would you please give me an interview and you said sorry it’s not the right time.”

The former Suits actress then responds: “I remember that conversation very well. I wasn’t even allowed to have that conversation with you personally, right. There had to be people from the… sitting there.”

Megan also revealed that officials were present when they were first speaking, adding: “Yeah, even on that call”. Prince Harry is also set to appear alongside his wife Meghan to discuss the couple’s decision to step down from their roles as senior members of the royal family.

Source: Read Full Article