Victoria Derbyshire marches out of BBC studios after her show was axed

Victoria Derbyshire looked stony-faced as she left the BBC studios earlier today after finding out her TV show is being axed from a newspaper.

The 51-year-old award-winning journalist went for a smart polka-dot jumpsuit and statement yellow coat as she left the London broadcasting house.

She paired her look with casual Adidas trainers as she made a defiant exit following filming.

Victoria had only discovered that her news series, The Victoria Derbyshire Show, was being cancelled after reading about it in The Times on Wednesday.

The veteran presenter had been hosting the BBC Two current affairs programme since 2015 and it remains a weekday staple on the channel.

The show is scheduled to be taken off air later this year.



  • This Morning fans accuse Gogglebox stars Steph and Dom Parker of being drunk

  • 'Devastated' Victoria Derbyshire found out show had been axed by reading it in paper

Victoria, who won a BAFTA for the show in 2017, has said she is "gutted" that the news series is coming to an end.

"Absolutely devastated at the plan to end our programme (which I first learned about in yesterday’s Times)," she said on Twitter earlier today.

"I'm unbelievably proud of what our team and our show have achieved in under 5 years … breaking tonnes of original stories (which we were asked to do); attracting a working class, young, diverse audience that BBC radio & TV news progs just don’t reach (which we were asked to do); & smashing the digital figures (which we were asked to do)

"I'm gutted particularly for our brilliant, young, ambitious, talented team – love ‘em. And for all those people we gave a voice to. Love them too.”



  • Defiant Victoria Derbyshire vows not to 'give up' in TV return after cancellation news

The show had pioneered five years of ground breaking broadcast news and unearth stories on topics such as poverty conditions in London and social media influencers being sexually propositioned by men for thousands of pounds.

The media editor of the BBC, Amol Rajan, explained the motivation behind the decision was funding-based.

“I understand @BBCNews is committed to Victoria + the (award-winning) journalism of the show. Cost of doing it on linear channel when savings are needed deemed too high,” he said in a tweet.

“BBC declined to comment ahead of an announcement next week.”

The director of the BBC News and Current Affairs has since explained that Victoria will remain an integral part of the BBC family. It is believed that the journalist will continue with the organisation in a wider role across digital and broadcast news.

Do you have a story to sell? Get in touch with us at [email protected] or call us direct 0207 29 33033

Source: Read Full Article