Sport

1.30pm Chelsea news LIVE: Abraham alleged racist abuse, Lampard unhappy over Liverpool’s extra days off, transfer ban LATEST – The Sun

FRANK LAMPARD must pick up his side after a sobering 4-0 defeat to Manchester United.

It was a disastrous start to the campaign for the Blues – who are currently under a transfer ban – and despite the better performance, they fell to a penalty defeat to Liverpool in the Super Cup.

Follow ALL of the latest Blues news, updates and gossip below…

  • DISCUSSIONS over a Champions League revamp that would affect England's top six have been postponed.

    UEFA have been in debates with European clubs and leagues surrounding a change to the structure of the competition, but the Associated Press report that these talks have been called off.

    A resolution is expected to be made on September 11, when parties will meet with UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin.

    One of the proposals that has been discussed is the possibility of reducing the tournament to 24 teams, which would see a promotion and relegation system introduced to and from the Europa League.

    The scheme was drawn up as a way of ensuring that teams which make it to the latter stages of the competition can compete again in the following year, regardless of performance in their domestic leagues.

    However, the Premier League has shown open resistance to the potential revamp, with Manchester United chief executive Ed Woodward one of the most outspoken in his denial of the proposals.

  • FRANK LAMPARD is not happy that Liverpool had two extra days to prepare for the UEFA Super Cup clash with Chelsea.

    The Reds edged an entertaining match at Vodafone Park in Istanbul – with the scores tied at 2-2 after 120 minutes, Adrian saved Tammy Abraham's penalty to win the shootout for the European champions.

    Liverpool hosted the Premier League curtain-raiser against Norwich on Friday night, while Chelsea had just three days to recover from their loss to Manchester United on Sunday.

    And Lampard believes the difference in preparation was what eventually separated the sides on the night.

    “I don't want to look like I'm moaning but it clearly affects preparation,” the 41-year old said. “It's unfortunate they had two days extra recovery.

    “I respect Liverpool, but I felt we were the stronger team. I'm a terrible loser but the feeling for me is one of pride.

    “If we keep playing like that then we'll be okay. I saw a lot of things I want to see.”

  • TAMMY ABRAHAM is alleged to have suffered racist abuse following last night's defeat to Liverpool in the UEFA Super Cup.

    The Chelsea striker played the whole match as the Reds emerged victorious from an entertaining tie on penalties.

    Kick It Out received reports of racism directed towards Abraham on social media in the wake of the game.

    A spokesperson from the equality and anti-discrimination organisation said: “Such abuse is now increasingly predictable, but no less disgusting.

    “We send our support to Tammy and reiterate our call for Twitter and other social companies to clamp down on this level of abuse.

    “This is a call to action – we want to know what they are going to do to tackle this insidious problem.”

  • CHELSEA are monitoring Manchester City's FIFA court case as they attempt to lift their own one-year transfer ban.

    City were recently fined £315,000 by football's governing body for breaching rules on signing under-18s.

    However, the London club previously received a far more severe punishment for the same offence – a £460,000 fine and, crucially, a ban against making signings spanning two transfer windows.

    The Blues launched an appeal against the sanction in June and, though that failed, they are in dialogue with the Court of Arbitration for Sport in attempt to allow them to buy players from January onwards, effectively reducing the ban by half.

    And Chelsea are now watching closely at the developments in the case surrounding their Premier League rivals, who FIFA officials say were granted a gentler ruling due to their admission of responsibility.

    A spokesperson told Sky Sports: “In its decision on Manchester City, FIFA's Disciplinary Committee took into consideration all specific circumstances of the case as well as the club's cooperation in clarifying the relevant facts.”

  • GIORGIO CHIELLINI has praised new Juventus boss Maurizio Sarri following his arrival from Chelsea.

    Sarri replaced his compatriot Massimiliano Allegri at the helm of the Serie A giants in June after delivering a 3rd-placed finish and Europa League trophy during his time at Stamford Bridge.

    And he has clearly made positive first impressions in his new surroundings.

    Chiellini told JTV: “What's struck me is how meticulous he is in his approach, in all the things he does.

    “We could say that he is meticulous at the highest levels because he always seeks perfection,” the 35-year old added. “I think that's what's struck me most about him.”

Source: Read Full Article