The second leg of horse racing's triple crown is always brimming with intrigue. The 146th running of the Preakness Stakes is no different, but not for the usual reason.
Kentucky Derby winner Medina Spirit, trained by the legendary Bob Baffert, enters as the betting favorite, though both horse and trainer are surrounded by controversy. Following Medina Spirit's Derby win he tested positive for a substance that is banned on race day, putting his victory in doubt for the time. He has since tested negative and will therefore be allowed to enter the Preakness.
Baffert has taken his lumps from the racing community, been sued by bettors, and has decided to stay away from Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore.
Regardless, both of his entries are primed to compete Saturday, with Concert Tour entering as second choice. Steve Asmussen's Midnight Bourbon, with Irad Ortiz Jr. on board, comes in at 5-1.
Wolken: Medina Spirit saga is exposing horse racing's incompetence on doping
Brother in arms: Legendary trainer D. Wayne Lukas defends Bob Baffert
Good luck!: Why your horse can – and can't – win the 2021 Preakness
Trainer Bob Baffert holds Medina Spirit the morning after the horse won the Kentucky Derby. (Photo: Pat McDonogh / Courier Journal)
Preakness Stakes post time
Post time for the 2021 Preakness Stakes is 6:50 p.m EST. The race will air on NBC.
TV and streaming info
Coverage from Pimlico Race Course begins at 2 p.m. ET on NBC Sports Network and will continue at 5 on NBC. The race can be streamed on the NBC app or NBCSports.com.
Odds for the field
Post position, horse, trainer, jockey, morning-line odds
1. Ram, D. Wayne Lukas, Ricardo Santana Jr., 30-1
2. Keepmeinmind, Robertino Diodoro, David Cohen, 15-1
3. Medina Spirit, Bob Baffert, John Velazquez, 9-5
4. Crowded Trade, Chad Brown, Javier Castellano, 10-1
5. Midnight Bourbon, Steve Asmussen, Irad Ortiz Jr., 5-1
6. Rombauer, Michael McCarthy, Flavien Prat, 12-1
7. France Go de Ina, Hideyuki Mori, Joel Rosario, 20-1
8. Unbridled Honor, Todd Pletcher, Luis Saez, 15-1
9. Risk Taking, Chad Brown, Jose Ortiz, 15-1
10. Concert Tour, Bob Baffert, Mike Smith, 5-2
Source: Read Full Article