Antonio Conte watches Spurs train for first time after replacing Nuno… but can't lead session as he awaits work permit

NEW Tottenham boss Antonio Conte watched his new players train today – but wasn't allowed to take the session.

The Italian has agreed a £15million-a-year contract with the Londoners to replace the axed Nuno Espirito Santo.


But as reported by The Telegraph, he is not quite READY to get his feet under the table.

The newspaper reported that former Chelsea gaffer 'slept at the club’s training ground ahead of meeting Spurs staff and players'.

He addressed staff at lunchtime – but then watched on as they players were put through their paces because he is still waiting for his work permit.

SunSport understands he will be backed in the January transfer market, and given a £150million war chest to bring in his own players.

Upon joining Spurs, Conte said: "I am extremely happy to return to coaching, and to do so at a Premier League club that has the ambition to be a protagonist again.

“Tottenham Hotspur has state-of-the-art facilities and one of the best stadiums in the world.

“I can't wait to start working to convey to the team and the fans the passion, mentality and determination that have always distinguished me, as a player and as a coach."

FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN NEW CUSTOMER DEALS

Conte held talks with the club last summer before they collapsed and Santo was appointed instead.

The Italian took the opportunity to address what happened.

He said: “Last summer our union did not happen because the end of my relationship with Inter was still too recent and emotionally too involved with the end of the season, so I felt that it wasn’t yet the right time to return to coaching.

“But the contagious enthusiasm and determination of Daniel Levy in wanting to entrust me with this task had already hit the mark. Now that the opportunity has returned, I have chosen to take it with great conviction.”

£150M WARCHEST

Conte is expected to bring in a whole new backroom team, like he did with Chelsea and Inter, with confirmation expected in due course.

The former Italy boss – who won the Premier League with Chelsea in 2016-17 – once claimed the North Londoners were not ambitious enough.

But Spurs chairman Daniel Levy, backed by billionaire owner Joe Lewis, has performed a stunning U-turn.

They are offering Conte a huge contract equivalent to £290,000 a week — plus heavy backing in the transfer market.

Nuno was axed after Sunday’s 3-0 home loss to Manchester United which saw him and his players booed off.


Read our Football news live blog for the very latest rumours, gossip and done deals

    Source: Read Full Article