Darts monster Ted Hankeys downfall – world championships to sex assault shame

Sick scumbag Ted Hankey has been sentenced to two years in jail for sexual assault – marking a remarkable fall from grace.

At his best, Hankey was unbeatable at the oche. But he has been exposed for being the monster he is after he pleaded guilty to the sexual assault of a young woman. It has landed him a two-year jail term and a place on the Sexual Offenders Register for the next ten years.

'The Count' was rarely away from the spotlight for one reason or another during his sporting career. He stunned the BDO scene in 2000 when he blitzed their World Championship final.

Opponent Ronnie Baxter was whitewashed 6-0 in just 46 minutes, the shortest time ever taken. Not only that, but Hankey also rounded off the victory with an emphatic and astonishing 170 finish, sparking joyous scenes amongst the crowd.

However, it was the fans who became his worst enemy as his career began to decline throughout the noughties. Hankey's 'oche rage', which made him an easy target for the darts faithful, led to several run-ins with darts authorities.

At the 2008 BDO World Championship he blamed the crowd for his poor form, who wound him up so much that he punched the board and had to be warned about his behaviour by referee Barry Gilbey.

Later that year, he gave up midway through a match after having his request for the air conditioning to be turned off. His anger, which was fuelled by heavy drinking ahead of going on stage, also led to his now infamous "who's in charge, me or the devil" moment.

In a major shock, Hankey won his second BDO world title in 2009 with a dramatic 7-6 final win over Tony O'Shea, leading to his debut in the PDC. In the years after he was plagued by health problems, though, including having a stroke during a 2012 match against Michael van Gerwen.

Hankey, now 54, continued to compete professionally until 2016. Last December he withdrew from the world seniors darts championship, which were held in February.

The victim reported the offence on September 2021. Hankey, 54, from Stoke-on-Trent, was arrested the same day. He initially denied the sexual assault on April 14 but later pleaded guilty. Hankey was given an immediate two-year jail term and has been placed on the Sexual Offenders Register for the next ten years.

Source: Read Full Article