Ex-Bolton defender Nicky Hunt taken to hospital with serious head injury as Darlington's game is abandoned

FORMER Bolton defender Nicky Hunt was taken to hospital with a serious head injury as Darlington's game with Boston was abandoned late on Tuesday night.

The 37-year-old was knocked unconscious around 9.30pm and was down for 90 minutes before he was finally taken to an ambulance and then hospital at around 11pm.

Hunt – who now plays for Darlington – was involved in a clash with Boston's Lewis McMahon.

And hosts Darlington issued a statement as many fans and former team-mates sent their best wishes.

It read: "We would like to update you on the serious injury to Darlington defender Nicky Hunt.

"Following an incident on the field near the end of the match, Nicky was left unconscious and needed lengthy treatment for a head injury from the physios of both clubs and medical staff.

"He was taken to hospital at 11pm by ambulance.

"We would like to thank the excellent care and prompt action which was taken by the physios of both clubs, and the Darlington FC safety staff and stewards.

"Our thoughts are with Nicky and his family.

"We will update everybody when we can."

Darlington tweeted confirming the veteran defender was down at 9.34pm with just three minutes left of normal time.

And the National League game was called off at 10pm.

Visitors Boston were leading 2-0 at the time.

The original tweet read: "Nasty clash involving McMahon and Hunt gave Boston a huge breakaway and they take advantage. 2-0 Boston."

Hunt's former Bolton team-mate Kevin Davies has since tweeted: "Hoping for some positive news regarding my good mate Nicky Hunt in the morning."

Bolton born Hunt played for his hometown club for nine years between 2001 and 2010 during a highly successful period for the Trotters.

He has since played for a number of EFL clubs including Preston, Accrington Stanley, Mansfield and Leyton Orient.

The former England Under-21 international only joined Darlington in July.

Source: Read Full Article