FLOYD MAYWEATHER claimed 'push-ups and sit-ups' were the main source of his training before beating boxing novice Conor McGregor.
The ring legend beat UFC star McGregor through ten rounds in 2017, in what was an unprecedented crossover fight.
Mayweather, now 44, was competing for the first time in two years but was not fazed by the knockout power his opponent was showcasing in the cage.
The American gave away some of the opening rounds, taking the occasional left hand or pawing jab, before stepping on the gas and stopping an exhausted McGregor who, despite amateur experience, was boxing as a pro for the first time.
Such was Mayweather’s pre-fight confidence, he insists only the occasional boxing session and some home workouts prepared him to face McGregor in Las Vegas.
He told Drink Champs last year: “For Conor McGregor, I didn’t really train.
“All I did was do push-ups and sit-ups. That’s all I did. Push-ups and sit-ups, box a few times, hit the bag a few times.
“Because, actually, the training camp was in different places.
“I would do a training camp in Vegas a few days. Sometimes I wouldn’t go to the gym for a week.
“I took it serious. Like I said before, I wanted to have some fun in the fight. I wanted to entertain the people.”
Mayweather is coming out of retirement to fight Logan Paul this Sunday in a bout that was originally scheduled for February.
The retired ex-champion had teased a rematch with McGregor and a crossover bout with Khabib Nurmagomedov in a series of Instagram posts.
But instead he will take on the YouTuber, who lost a much-publicised professional fight with online rival KSI last year.
Reports have also suggested a rematch with Manny Pacquiao was in the offering – with a mega deal on the table from Saudi Arabia.
Coronavirus is said to have spelt an end to those plans with Mayweather now insisting he will stick to exhibitions and preserve his 50-0 record.
Source: Read Full Article