Former England midfielder Kieron Dyer claims he was racially abused at a Suffolk golf club, alleging his playing partner heard a fellow member say ‘monkey’ and ‘banana’ after 41-year-old had left for home
- Kieron Dyer said he was left ‘deeply upset’ after allegedly being racially abused
- Dyer claimed he was racially abused after playing at Hintlesham Golf Club
- A member of the club is said to have made a racist remark after he left for the day
Kieron Dyer has been left ‘deeply upset’ after he was allegedly racially abused at a golf club in Suffolk last week.
The former England and Newcastle midfielder visited Hintlesham Golf Club on Friday, July 24 – when a member of the club is said to have made a racist remark towards Dyer.
The alleged comments were directed towards Dyer after he had left the golf club following a round – but the ex-footballer’s playing partner that day and others inside the bar reportedly heard the racist abuse.
Kieron Dyer insisted he was feeling ‘deeply upset’ after allegedly being racially abused
The 41-year-old, who also played for Ipswich, West Ham, Queens Park Rangers and Middlesbrough during his career, admitted that it was brought to his attention by his playing partner that day.
Dyer told the East Anglian Daily Times: ‘It was brought to my attention by a playing partner that a fellow member verbally abused me in the bar area at Hintlesham Golf Club last Friday – that abuse was of a racial nature, and included the words “monkey” and “banana”.
‘And while I did not hear it myself, as I had left the golf club to go home, I was left shocked when told. My playing partner was in attendance and heard the comments.
‘He was also left upset by the incident informing me of what was said. Others were in attendance and have confirmed they also heard the racial abuse.
‘This is a deeply upsetting incident. I was appalled to be told of what had been said and it is clear to me there is still a long way to go in the battle against racism.’
The allegations came after Dyer played a round at Hintlesham Golf Club (pictured) in Suffolk
Dyer went on to reveal that he has since given up his membership at the Suffolk club, in which he has been at for several years.
Sportsmail contacted Hintlesham Golf Club but they declined to comment.
Dyer made 33 appearances for England during a career that was unfortunately blighted by injuries before retiring altogether from football in 2013.
Since hanging up his football boots, Dyer – who also played 239 times for Newcastle between 1999 to 2007 – enjoyed an appearance on ‘I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here!’.
The former midfielder came fourth on the hit-show in 2015, lasting 21 days in the Australian jungle.
Dyer also recently lifted the lid on a ‘surreal night’ with boxing legend Floyd Mayweather in 2012.
The former Newcastle midfielder made 33 appearances for the Three Lions during his career
Boxing fan Dyer flew out to Las Vegas to watch Mayweather beat Miguel Cotto – and after the fight, the former footballer was invited to party with the American at his $9.5million mansion, in which he had rapper 50 Cent to thank.
Speaking on the Golf Life podcast, the 41-year-old explained: ‘In the Cotto fight, there was this guy we knew who is really close to Carlton Cole, he used to be a DJ for 50 Cent.
‘Obviously 50 Cent and Floyd used to be best mates. After the fight, he rings me up and asks what I’m doing.
‘I say I’m probably going to go to one of the big clubs in Vegas but he wants me to meet him, everyone is going back to the champs, everyone is going back to Floyd’s.
‘I met him, and turned up at Floyd’s house. Must have been about 200 people in the house.
‘He had all his belts on the table, there was hardly any sight of him. There were women everywhere. I was walking around Floyd’s house, it was very surreal.’
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article