Police physically stop Joey Barton leaving ground after he is accused of assaulting Barnsley manager in post-match brawl

JOEY BARTON was physically stopped by police as he tried to leave Barnsley's ground after he "assaulted" their manager Daniel Stendel.

Incredible footage shows the moment Barton tried to speed out of the Oakwell Stadium car park before police rushed to prevent him from driving away.

It comes after he was accused of assaulting Barnsley boss Daniel Stendel in the tunnel during a post-match brawl.

Barton's side earlier slipped to a heated 4-2 defeat with Harry Souttar sent off in the second-half of the game

And reports suggest Barton and Stendel had to be separated by stewards and police in the tunnel – with Barnsley club officials even filming the melee.

At the end of the game, Barnsley chief Stendel appeared to be speaking very animatedly towards the famously short-tempered Fleetwood boss.

After walking away, Barton shortly after followed him into the tunnel towards the dressing rooms.

Sky are now saying the police are investigating the former Manchester City hot-head for lashing out.

Barnsley have since issued a statement, saying: “The Club can confirm there was an alleged incident in the tunnel area that took place following the conclusion of today’s match, which South Yorkshire police are currently investigating.

“The Club is assisting the police with its enquiries and, as a result, we are not in a position to make any further comment at this time.”

Meanwhile, Barnsley forward Cauley Woodrow took to Twitter to have his say on the "assault".


Woodrow tweeted: "Firstly @ftfc to have a manager that can physically assault another manager in the tunnel is disgusting, causing our manager to have blood pouring from his face!!

"People like you don’t deserve a place in the game of football you are foul. Secondly fantastic win today @BarnsleyFC"

It's not the first time Barton has found himself in hot water this season either.

In January, the one-cap England international was charged by the FA over comments made about the referee of his Fleetwood side's game with Bristol Rovers.

Barton was also fined £2,000 for accusing the match officials of bias, saying: "At times it definitely felt like we were against a lot more than 11.

"I have to be careful not to say anything because we all know the ramifications of telling people exactly what you think of officials.

"Hopefully we never see those guys again because good football matches officiated in the correct spirit are great to be part of."

Barton had already been hit with a touchline ban in January for his rant.

Source: Read Full Article