Piers Morgan says GMB government boycott is ‘over’ after Matt Hancock phonecall

Health Secretary Matt Hancock is going appear on Good Morning Britain (GMB) tomorrow after the Government apparently boycotted the show for 201 days.

No Government minister has appeared on the show since April after several MPs received fierce criticism from host Piers Morgan during their interviews.

But Piers has revealed the deadlock has been broken between the breakfast show and the Government as Downing Street has told him Mr Hancock will be making an appearance on Monday's episode.

The GMB host tweeted today: "BREAKING: Just had a call from Downing Street. The 201-day Government boycott of @GMB is over & Health Secretary @MattHancock will be appearing on the show tomorrow morning…"

The announcement comes in the same week Boris Johnson's chief advisor Dominic Cummings and PR man Lee Cain left Number 10.

Piers also took to Instagram to announce the Government's U-turn alongside a photo of himself and co-host Susanna Reid outside Number 10 Downing Street.

A number of ministers had been involved in bruising interviews with hosts Piers and Susanna Reid, including Mr Hancock.

This week Piers accused the Government of being "gutless little weasels" for the boycott – after Mr Hancock swerved questions from GMB reporter Nick Dixon.

The reporter quizzed him over the coronavirus vaccine as he left the BBC studios in London.

He said: "One more question, I know you're busy, why have you avoided and boycotted Good Morning Britain for 196 days, Piers and Susanna are desperately keen to talk to you?

"When will you come on and talk to Piers and Susanna? We have got time for you tomorrow, we will make a special slot for you tomorrow, running order entirely cleared just for you."

Mr Hancock turned down a slot, saying: "Unfortunately, I have got something in the diary and I have a lot of work to do to get this vaccine rolled out."

Piers had a fiery interview with Mr Hancock in April which resulted in Ofcom receiving a flood of complaints over Piers' conduct.

Ofcom also received complaints after Piers had a brutal interview with Care Minister Helen Whately.

But the regulator cleared Piers on both counts saying his interview technique fell within the remit of his journalistic duty.

Piers said: "What Ofcom did about our awful haranguing of these poor little ministers… it was a very important moment for the TV regulator.

"They could easily have rolled over in the face of public opinion. I am sorry about those interviews – I am sorry I didn't go harder."

Source: Read Full Article