Director Yorgos Lanthimos’ acclaimed new film “The Favourite” shattered records at the British Independent Film Awards in London on Sunday night, December 02, picking up 10 honours.
The comedy drama, starring Rachel Weisz, Olivia Colman, and Emma Stone, picked up Best British Independent Film, Best Director and Best Screenplay, while Colman extended her record as a BIFA winner, landing the Best Actress award for her role as Queen Anne in the movie. The Brit has now won four trophies – one for every nomination.
She opened an emotional acceptance speech by swearing and then stating she was lost for words as she had not prepared remarks. After collecting herself and thanking her co-stars, director and her family, she placed a ‘Well Done’ sticker on her chest.
Olivia returned to the stage at London’s Old Billingsgate venue to collect her absent co-star Weisz’s Best Supporting Actress award.
“The Favourite” also picked up five craft awards last month, bringing its total to 10.
There were also big BIFA wins for “Peaky Blinders” star Joe Cole, who scored the Best Actor trophy for his portrayal of a boxer in “A Prayer Before Dawn“, while Alessandro Nivola was named Best Supporting Actor for his part in “Disobedience“, opposite Weisz and Rachel McAdams.
Meanwhile, Dame Judi Dench was presented with the 2018 Richard Harris Award for Outstanding Contribution by an Actor to British Film.
The full list of winners is:
- The Richard Harris Award for Outstanding Contribution by an Actor to British Film – Dame Judi Dench
- The Special Jury Prize – Horace Ove
- Best British Independent Film – “The Favourite“
- Best Director – Yorgos Lanthimos, “The Favourite“
- Best Screenplay – Deborah Davis & Tony McNamara, “The Favourite“
- Best Actress – Olivia Colman, “The Favourite“
- Best Supporting Actress – Rachel Weisz, “The Favourite“
- Best Actor – Joe Cole, “A Prayer Before Dawn“
- Best Supporting Actor – Alessandro Nivola, “Disobedience“
- Most Promising Newcomer – Jessie Buckley, “Beast“
- The Douglas Hickox Award (Best Debut Director) – Richard Billingham, “Ray & Liz“
- Debut Screenwriter – Bart Layton, “American Animals“
- Breakthrough Producer – Jacqui Davies, “Ray & Liz“
- The Discovery Award sponsored by Raindance – “Voyageuse“, May Miles Thomas
- Best Documentary – “Evelyn (2018)“
- Best British Short Film – “The Big Day“
- Best International Independent Film – “Roma“
- Best Casting – Dixie Chassay, “The Favourite“
- Best Cinematography – Robbie Ryan, “The Favourite“
- Best Costume Design – Sandy Powell, “The Favourite“
- Best Editing – Nick Fenton, Julian Hart, & Chris Gill, “American Animals“
- Best Effects – Howard Jones, “Early Man“
- Best Make Up & Hair Design – Nadia Stacey, “The Favourite“
- Best Music – Jonny Greenwood, “You Were Never Really Here“
- Best Production Design – Fiona Crombie, “The Favourite“
- Best Sound – Paul Davies, “You Were Never Really Here“
Source: Read Full Article