Premier Daniel Andrews has blasted acting Immigration Minister Alan Tudge over the trans-Tasman bubble agreement amid fears up to 55 New Zealand travellers could have slipped into Victoria from Sydney.
A visibly furious Mr Andrews revealed on Sunday afternoon that state authorities had managed to contact only 23 of the 55 people who indicated on their border pass cards that they intended to travel to Tullamarine airport, as he hit out at the federal and NSW governments for failing to alert Victoria.
The stoush between the Andrews government and the Commonwealth escalated over the weekend when Mr Tudge said Victoria's Chief Health Officer, Brett Sutton, was at the expert medical panel meeting where issues around the trans-Tasman bubble had been discussed.
The federal minister said Professor Sutton had not raised any concerns, but the Chief Health Officer disputed claims he was present at the meeting when the issues were being raised.
Mr Andrews said: "We have a federal minister saying somehow it is my fault … I have a bit on at the moment right now, but apparently I should add to what I do and monitor every single person at Sydney Airport.
"Come on. We've got a bit to get on with … International borders are not the responsibility of the state government and what happens in Sydney is not the responsibility of our state government.
"Let's all work together to get this right, but until there is an acknowledgement that something has gone wrong here, I'm not interested in blame. Let's fix it."
More to come
Sign up to our Coronavirus Update newsletter
Get our Coronavirus Update newsletter for the day’s crucial developments and the numbers you need to know. Sign up to The Sydney Morning Herald’s newsletter here and The Age’s here.
Most Viewed in National
Source: Read Full Article