First coronavirus death in Europe: Chinese tourist DIES in France

First coronavirus death in Europe: Chinese tourist, 80, DIES in French hospital one month flying to Paris from virus-ravaged Hubei province with the bug

  • French Health Minister Agnes Buzyn confirmed the death of the elderly man 
  • He travelled to the country from the virus-hit Hubei province on January 16
  • Victim leaves behind a daughter battling the infection but making good recovery

An 80-year-old man has died of coronavirus in France, becoming the first fatality from the infection in Europe.

French Health Minister Agnes Buzyn today confirmed the death of the elderly Chinese tourist, who travelled to the country from the Hubei province on January 16.

The victim, who was quarantined in Bichat hospital in Paris on January 25, leaves behind a daughter who is battling the infection but making a good recovery.

He died of a lung infection sparked by the bug which caused his condition to ‘rapidly deteriorate’. 

French Health Minister Agnes Buzyn confirmed the death of an 80-year-old Chinese tourist today

The Bichat hospital in Paris where some of the patients infected with the coronavirus are being treated

Mrs Buzyn said she was told about the death ‘on Friday night’ and has been liaising directly with his family. 

France has recorded 11 cases of the virus, out of a global total of 67,090. The vast majority of those suffering from the virus are in China. 

Some of these cases on French soil are being treated at the Bichat hospital in Paris.

It is also the first death outside of Asia. Only three deaths have so far been recorded outside mainland China – in the Philippines, Hong Kong and Japan. 

The highly contagious epidemic which spawned in Wuhan late last year has killed 1,527 people. 

This is a breaking news story. More to follow… 

Source: Read Full Article