Great white shark that killed surfer northern NSW escapes police hunt

Chilling footage shows monster great white shark that killed a surfer, 60, and stalked three brave mates who tried to rescue him – before the beast escapes police hunt

  • Great White shark that mauled a surfer in a fatal attack remains at large 
  • The man, 60, died after being dragged to shore in far northern NSW on Sunday
  • Helicopters, jet skies and drones scoured the ocean to monitor the shark
  • Three metre predator disappeared from the vicinity three hours after fatal attack
  • Do you know more? Email 

A three-metre great white shark that mauled a surfer to death remains at large after escaping a widespread police hunt.

A Queensland man, 60, was surfing at Salt Beach near Kingscliff in far northern NSW on Sunday morning when he was bitten on the left leg.

Three other surfers nearby fought off the shark and dragged the man to shore, but he died at the scene.

The beach was closed as helicopters, jet skies and drones scoured the ocean from the water and air to locate the shark responsible for the mauling.

Extraordinary footage shows jet skis and a police boat following the massive predator lurking close to shore before it vanished from the vicinity almost three hours after the fatal attack.

A jet ski rider monitors the movements of a massive shark lurking close to shore near where a surfer was mauled to death near Kingscliff on Sunday morning 

Police had been given authority to capture or kill the shark before it disappeared.

‘Under the Department of Primary Industry’s shark Incident response protocols, permission may be granted to destroy the shark, if it is considered an ongoing threat to human life,’ a NSW Police statement read.

‘This process involves consultation by the incident commander with the commander of Marine Area Command as well as the Department of Primary Industries, which comes under the DPI’s ‘Threat to Life’ policy.

‘Due to concerns that the shark had to be fought off by other board-riders, and that it remained in the vicinity for several hours after the attack, police were granted permission to destroy the shark.

‘Police and local rescue helicopter crews monitored the area for some hours; however, the shark left the vicinity about 1.15 pm and has not been seen since.’ 

No police firearm was discharged in the search.

A police boat circled the massive predator before it vanished from the vicinity

The shark was later identified by the Department of Primary Industries as a Great White.

The surfer from Tugan was still alive when was dragged to shore but died a short time later, despite desperate attempts by paramedics to save him. 

Tweed Byron Police District Inspector Matthew Kehoe told reporters three surfers fought off the shark, The Daily Telegraph reported.

One of them was a friend of the shark victim.

Several surfers rushed to help the man fight the shark off before he was dragged to shore. Pictured are emergency service at the harrowing scene

‘They got him on one of the boards and tried to stabilise him and take him to shore,’ he said.

As they were paddling to shore the shark circled the three men before nudging one of their boards.

‘The actions were absolutely outstanding, they did everything they could to save this guy,’ Insp Kehoe said.

‘They put themselves at significant personal risk and we will be recognising those two gentlemen at a later stage for their heroic actions.’ 

The 60-year-old man was surfing at Salt Beach near Kingscliff when his leg was bitten off by a three-metre shark (pictured) about 10.40am Sunday

NSW Ambulance Inspector Terence Savage said it was a ‘dreadful’ situation for everyone involved.

‘When you get a call to attend a shark attack, you never really know the full extent of the damage until you get on scene,’ he said in a statement on Sunday.

‘They did everything they could to try and save his life, but despite their best efforts, were unable to do so.’

Tweed Shire councillor and a member of the Salt Surf Life Saving Club, James Owen, described the incident as ‘terrible and tragic’. 

‘It’s a bit of a shock for everyone at the moment,’ he told the Sydney Morning Herald.

 ‘There’s a very sombre mood here.’ 

A surfer has died after being attacked by a shark at a popular surf spot in northern NSW 

The surfer was still alive when he was dragged to shore but died a short time later. Pictured are emergency crews at the scene afterwards

All beaches in the area between Kingscliff and Cabarita will remain closed until Monday morning.

Officers from the Tweed/Byron Police District are liaising with the Department of Primary Industries to investigate the circumstances surrounding the attack. 

It’s the third fatal shark attack in Australia this year, following the death of Gary Johnson, 57, on Western Australia’s south coast in January and Zachary Robba in Central Queensland in April. 

Source: Read Full Article