Libby Squire's 'frantic screams' after being 'stalked and intercepted by Polish butcher who raped and killed her'

"FRANTIC screams" were heard coming from the field where Libby Squire was raped and murdered moments after a butcher "intercepted" her, a court heard today.

Pawel Relowicz, 26, was seen on CCTV on February 1, 2019, "stalking" the drunk student, 19, before he "darts" across the road to her, it was said.

Sheffield Crown Court heard just minutes later, she was driven to playing fields by Relowicz in his silver Vauxhall Astra.

It was in this remote spot Relowicz allegedly raped Libby, who was "scared of the dark and terrified of the water", and dumped her "dead or dying" in the River Hull.

She was discovered six weeks later on March 20 in the Humber estuary by a fishing boat – a gold necklace bearing the letter 'L' still hanging around her neck.

Jurors heard today how witness Sam Alford reported hearing a "series of screams" coming from the secluded field.

Richard Wright QC, prosecuting, said: "They were distant screams but they were loud screams.

"Mr Alford recalled them as frantic screams that had urgency and had depth.

"There were gaps between them and there were several of them."

The court heard Mr Alford was looking out of his window a few minutes after the last scream when he saw a man "emerging from the darkness" running.

Mr Wright said: "We will invite you to conclude that the screams were Libby's and that the man then seen running back after the screaming had stopped was the defendant."

The court was told Relowicz left the playing field around seven-and-a-half minutes later without Libby".

Mr Wright said this was "more than enough time" for him to have "taken or pursued Libby out into the playing fields, sexually attacked and killed her, put her body into the river, and then run back to his car."


The court was told Libby's final moments using CCTV footage taken between 11.57pm and 12.08am as Relowicz waited nearby on foot.

Mr Wright said: "We will invite you to conclude that he had in fact seen Libby and the obviously drunken and distressed condition she was in.

"He had identified her as a target and his crossing the road was a device, a fiction to make it look like he hadn't seen her and was just walking on past."

Relowicz is then seen returning to his car for three minutes while he waits for another car to leave the residential street, jurors were told.

There was then some "toing and froing" between him and Libby before sheenters the vehicle – her gold watch later found damaged near the spot she was "intercepted".

Mr Wright said: "Whether Libby was forced into the vehicle physically, an act that would, we suggest, not have been difficult given her condition at that point, or whether she was persuaded to enter it, on the promise of some assistance being rendered to her, may never be clear from the CCTV footage alone."


The philosophy and religion student had earlier been turned away from a nightclub in Hull for being too drunk, it was said previously.

Sheffield Crown Court heard how "crying" Libby had returned home but lost her house keys and didn't have her phone on her.

Several members of the public had tried to help "likely hypothermic" Libby but gave up when she became "agitated".

Meanwhile, Relowicz was seen on CCTV "cruising around the student area" as though he was "effectively on patrol, looking for an opportunity to present itself to him", jurors heard.

After she was left alone and drunk on the roadside, jurors were told Libby "inadvertently strayed" into the path of Relowicz who lived a few streets away with his wife and two kids.


Mr Wright said: "Pawel Relowicz had not helped Libby home. Instead, once she was inside his vehicle, he drove her away from what would have been that place of safety and to some nearby playing fields at Oak Road.

"The defendant was well familiar with that remote spot and no doubt chose it so that he would not be disturbed.

"At Oak Road, having exited his vehicle we say that Pawel Relowicz raped Libby and that he killed her, causing her death during that act of sexual violence, which culminated in his putting her, dead or dying, into the cold waters of the River Hull that bordered the edge of that playing field.

"It was from there that Libby’s body travelled into the Humber and then out to sea to be recovered by the lifeboat on the 20th March."


Libby was originally from High Wycombe in Bucks but at the time of her death was living with three girls in Hull while she carried out her studies.

She had suffered with depression growing up but at the time of her death was “coping well with life and not depressed”, jurors were told.

On the night she vanished, she had been drinking with friends and appeared "in good spirits" before the group headed to the nightclub in the city centre at around 11pm.

But once there, security staff on the door refused to let her in because she appeared to be drunk so she told her friends she would walk home instead.

Her friends put her in a taxi, which dropped Libby off close to her home but she "walked away from the safety of her front door".

Mr Wright said: “It was freezing cold, there was snow on the ground and [Libby] was not dressed for the weather. She was drunk, she was likely hypothermic, and she was in deep distress.

“She had lost her house keys, she was crying, she had fallen repeatedly to the floor as she tried to walk and she was extremely vulnerable.

“Some good citizens had tried to help her, but in her intoxicated state she became agitated to the point that they gave up their efforts and left her by the roadside. From there she had seemingly vanished.”


She was later seen by passers-by "obviously drunk" and "sobbing" – including two men who spotted the student lying in the snow at the side of the road.

Jurors heard the bystanders tried to help her but were unable to understand what she was saying and she became verbally aggressive so they drove away.

A group of students who heard Libby crying outside their house let her in but she left, saying she wanted to go home, it was said.

The court was told a shop manager also saw "crying" Libby sat on the pavement shortly after midnight appearing to shout "don't leave me" at a nearby car.

Mr Wright said: "Libby was not seen again that evening by any member of the public. She did not return to 32 Wellesley Avenue and would never do so again."

Libby's parents, Lisa and Russ, are both in court today watching proceedings.

Lisa affectionately referred to her daughter as “Pie” and previously said she had lost “one of the four most precious things in my life”.

She added: “I cannot thank you enough my darling Pie for making me a mummy. For choosing me to be your mummy. It’s an honour, a privilege and a joy.

“I kept you safe for as long as I could and I am so sorry I could not keep you safe on that night. I’m sorry. I’m so so sorry.”

Relowicz, who is using a Polish interpreter to watch proceedings, denies rape and murder.

The trial continues.

Source: Read Full Article