Matt Gaetz sex-trafficking investigation 'very serious,' ex-FBI official says as DOJ 'briefed MULTIPLE times' on probe

THE Matt Gaetz sex-traffcking probe is extremely "serious," a former FBI director has said, after it emerged DOJ officials were briefed "multiple times" about it, reports say.

On Wednesday, ex-Deputy Director Andrew McCabe addressed the ongoing controversey that Gaetz was subject to a federal probe over an alleged sexual relationship with a teen and “underage orgies.”



McCabe told CNN that Congress would not open such an intense and "substantial" investigation unless there was a "a significant degree of information."

He said: "It's substantial and very serious.

"You know [after] 21 years of opening and overseeing, conducting investigations, I can tell you that nobody opens a sex trafficking investigation in which the subject is a sitting member of Congress without having a significant degree of information."

"In any case, I can assure you the FBI doesn't open these cases lightly, and don't get briefed to the attorney general without some significant momentum behind them," he later added.

McCabe left the FBI in 2018 after being ousted under Donald Trump's administration.

Gaetz has denied any wrongdoing and claimed there is a $25million extortion plot against him after the New York Times reported that he paid a 17-year-old girl to travel with him.


"No part of the allegations against me are true, and the people pushing these lies are targets of the ongoing extortion investigation," he told Newsweek.

It's since emerged that former AG William Barr and Department of Justice officials were reportedly briefed "multiple times" about the alleged sex-trafficking scandal.

Sources told Politico that Barr did not take issue with the accusations after being alerted to the investigation in the summer of 2020.

"My family and I have been victims of an organized criminal extortion involving a former DOJ official seeking $25 million while threatening to smear my name," the embatled Florida Republican said earlier this week.

"We have been cooperating with federal authorities in this matter and my father has even been wearing a wire at the FBI's direction to catch these criminals.

Gaetz and his father, Don Gaetz, have demanded that the wire tapes they wore to cooperate be released and his dad has also revealed bombshell texts that supposedly prove their extortion plot claims, reported the Washington Examiner.

The Gaetz family allege that attorney David McGee cooked up the blackmail scheme in an effort to raise enough money to get Robert Levinson, who was taken prisoner in Iran in 2007, back home.



The unverified iMessages from Bob Kent, an ex-Air Force Intelligence Officer, read: "I would like to talk to you immediately about the current federal investigation, and the indictment that is about to be filed against your son.

"I would like to talk with you immediately about the current federal investigation, and the indictment that is about to be filed against your son," it read. "I have a plan that can make his future legal and political problems go away."

The unsubstantiated messages published by the Washington Examiner said if Gaetz helped to free Robert Levinson – an American prisoner in Iran who is believed to be dead by some – his legal issues would be dealt with.

"Then, my partner will see to it that Matt receives a Presidential Pardon, thus alleviating all his legal issues," the text went on.

Former federal prosecutor and Florida-based attorney McGee previously worked on the case of Levinson, whose believed by some to be dead.

He is now accused of attempting to extort the Florida Republican via Kent.





On March 17, Gaetz (Sr) reportedly met with Kent and was given a document, dubbed "Project Homecoming," that detailed how the family could help save Levinson by paying up $25million.

The document states that the younger Gaetz is "under investigation by the FBI for various public corruption and public integrity issues," and alleges that the FBI is in possession of photos showing Gaetz in a "sexual orgy with underage prostitutes."

The filings also promise to appeal to President Joe Biden for a pardon should the blackmail and release plan be pulled off.

After the New York Times published the story about the Justice Department investigation on Tuesday, Gaetz immediately denied the allegations, and claimed blackmail.

None of the parties involved have responded to the new alleged proof of the blackmail scheme, but McGee did deny being involved with any kind of extortion plan in an interview with The Daily Beast.

He said that Gaetz's father had "called me and asked to talk to me" and said he'd welcome a tape of their conversation to be made public.

"If there is a tape, play the tape. There is nothing on that tape that is untoward."



Source: Read Full Article