Qatari businessman denies killing man in his £250k Rolls Royce Wraith

Millionaire Qatari businessman denies killing pedestrian, 66, in his £250k Rolls Royce Wraith while driving at Hyde Park Corner as he appears in court via video link from Doha

  • Millionaire Qatari businessman Hassan Nasser Al-Thani, 41, appeared via video link at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Monday from Doha, Qatar
  • He denied causing the death of 66-year-old Charles Roberts by ‘reckless driving’ 
  • The pedestrian was hit and killed by Al-Thani’s Rolls Royce Wraith in August 2019

A millionaire Qatari businessman accused of killing a pedestrian in his £250,000 Rolls Royce near Buckingham Palace insisted in court today he was not ‘driving recklessly’.

Hassan Nasser Al-Thani, 41, denies causing the death of 66-year-old Charles Roberts while driving a purple Rolls Royce Wraith around Hyde Park Corner.

Al-Thani is accused of driving ‘without due care and attention and reasonable consideration for other persons using the road’ when his Qatar-registered car hit Mr Roberts. 

Hassan Nasser Al-Thani, 41, pictured, appeared via video link from Doha, Qatar, at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Monday afternoon where he pleaded not guilty to causing the death of 66-year-old Charles Roberts

Al-Thani appeared via video link from Doha, Qatar, at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Monday afternoon where he pleaded not guilty to the charge.

Charles Roberts, pictured, died after he was hit by the luxury car at 3am on the morning of August 22 near London’s Hyde Park Corner

He spoke via an interpreter to confirm his name, age and address, and said: ‘Not guilty, I was not driving recklessly.’

David Roberts, prosecuting, said the case was not suitable for trial in a magistrates’ court because ‘this was not a momentary lapse in concentration.’

Mr Roberts said: ‘The defendant had been driving above the speed limit for some time.

‘Therefore this case would be in excess of this courts’ sentencing powers and as such should be sent to a crown court for trial.’

Mr Roberts, from Harpenden, Hertfordshire, died at the scene of the crash in Duke of Wellington Place, in the early hours of August 22, 2019.

Al-Thani stopped and was questioned by police and later charged with causing death by careless driving.

The Qatar-registered Wraith was left with a large crack on the windscreen in the aftermath of the crash.

A purple Rolls Royce car was seen inside the cordon following the crash in August 2019

The location of the crash involving the Rolls Royce at Hyde Park Corner in central London 

Pictures from the scene show a blue tent erected on the road at the site of the crash.  

Al-Thani, whose address was given as a luxury apartment near Hyde Park in Prince of Wales Terrace, now faces a plea and trial preparation hearing at Southwark Crown Court on 8 February.

He indicated a not guilty plea to a single charge of causing death by careless or inconsiderate driving.  

He was granted unconditional bail and will appear at Southwark Crown Court on February 8.

Source: Read Full Article