Woman in her 50s dies as caravan is engulfed in flames at resort

Woman in her 50s dies in Bank Holiday horror as caravan is engulfed in flames at Essex resort park

  • Essex Fire Service rushed to Highfield Grange Holiday Park after reports of a fire
  • Firefighters battled the blaze which engulfed the caravan for around 30 minutes 
  • Essex Police say woman in her 50s died and woman in her 20s suffered injuries

A woman in her 50s has died in a Bank Holiday horror after a caravan was engulfed in flames at an Essex holiday park.

Essex Fire Service and Essex Police rushed to Highfield Grange Holiday Park in Clacton shortly before 10am after reports that a caravan was ablaze. 

Firefighters battled the blaze and within half an hour had managed to put the fire out.

However Essex Police have since confirmed that a woman, said to be in her 50s, has died following the fire.

Essex Fire Service and Essex Police rushed to Highfield Grange Holiday Park in Clacton (pictured) shortly before 10am with reports a caravan was entirely alight

The cause of the fire is currently unknown however fire investigators are working to establish a cause.

A woman in her 20s is currently in hospital under observation for smoke inhalation. 

In a statement, police said: ‘A woman has sadly died following a fire at a caravan park in Clacton.

‘Our officers are working with fire investigators to establish the cause of the fire.

‘Our thoughts are with those who have been impacted by today’s tragic events.’ 

Holiday makers were left shocked by the incident, which they were alerted to by the sound of ‘explosions’.

One told the Sun: ‘There were people shouting and then all we could see were flames that were 15 feet high – they were above all the other vans.

‘We heard explosions and time seemed to go so slowly. We were shocked and it really upset us because it shows you how quickly these caravans can go up.’

Another said: ‘There were flames coming out of the caravan’s windows and it was already too late.

‘One of the park employees was trying to reassure a woman who had been inside.’ 

London Road by the caravan park was temporarily blocked to allow emergency services to access the park.

And a spokesperson for Parkdean Resorts, which owns Highfield Grange Holiday Park, added: ‘There has been an incident at the park and our team are assisting the emergency services.

‘It would be inappropriate to comment further.’

Source: Read Full Article