Meghan Markle latest news – Duchess can't damage royals like her hero Diana because she's just not as important – expert

MEGHAN Markle can't damage the royals like her hero Princess Diana because she's simply not important enough, an expert has claimed.

Pauline Maclaren, author of Royal Fever: The British Monarchy in Consumer Culture, pointed out several key differences between Meghan's Oprah Winfrey interview and Diana's interview with Martin Bashir.

She told the Mirror: "I don't think the [Meghan and Harry] interview can be really rated in a similar way to the Diana interview, which really turned the public very much against the royal family here.

"When Diana did her interviews, that was after they had suffered many other things during that period, so that was a sort of culminating scandal or the culmination of a series of scandals, really.

"This time, I think it's just not quite the same and particularly because Harry and Meghan had already left."

Another serious difference is their rank, with Diana speaking out while she was Princess of Wales and future Queen, while Meghan is married a junior royal who continues to fall further down the line to the throne.

Meghan is said to have have hero-worshipped Diana as a child, becoming "obsessed" with watching endless reruns of Diana’s fairy tale wedding according to her friend’s mother, Sonia Ardakani.

It comes Piers Morgan claimed Meghan and Harry lied or exaggerated 17 times during their bombshell Oprah Winfrey interview.

The former Good Morning Britain host insisted he was right not to believe the Duchess of Sussex in her Oprah interview, alleging that 17 of her claims in the chat have proved incorrect.

Piers, 56, was booted from his ITV morning show last month after expressing doubts over her bombshell allegations during the Oprah sit-down with Prince Harry.

In the interview Meghan, 39, had claimed that she was denied access to mental health care when she was feeling suicidal because she was told it “wouldn't look good for the institution”.

She also alleged that racist comments had been made by a senior royal about Archie's skin colour before his birth.

Now in his own interview with Fox News' Tucker Carlson last night, Piers demanded Meghan Markle reveal who specifically rejected her pleas for help over her mental health, before she quit as a frontline royal.

He also accused Harry and Meghan of "complete hypocrisy" with the interview and insisted he has the "universal support" of the British public.

In his first TV interview since he departed Good Morning Britain, Morgan told to American news personality he stood by his comments, blasting the couple for the "most extraordinarily disingenuous smear, hit job".

Read our live blog below for the very latest updates on Meghan Markle and Prince Harry…

  • Dan Keane

    BUCKINGHAM PALACE VISITORS CAN PICNIC IN THE GARDEN THIS SUMMER

    Visitors to Buckingham Palace this summer will be able to picnic in its garden and explore the open space by themselves for the first time, the Royal Collection Trust (RCT) has announced.

    The traditional summer opening of the palace's state rooms and themed exhibition, which normally welcomes thousands, has been cancelled for a second year due to the effects of the pandemic.

    But self-guided garden tours will be on offer from July to September, giving the paying public the chance to wander through the Queen's private 39-acre site and discover the wildlife-rich oasis in the heart of London.

  • Dan Keane

    6,000 OFCOM COMPLAINTS

    Hundreds more Brits have complained to Ofcom over Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey.

    Almost 6,000 people have now voiced their objections to the chat in total – despite the interview being screened almost a month ago on March 8.

    Around 600 new complaints have been logged over the course of the past seven days as Piers Morgan blasts Meghan for 17 "untrue, exaggerated or unprovable" slurs against the Royal Family.

    In total, 5,949 viewers have had their say so far.

  • Dan Keane

    WHAT WE KNOW: MEG & HARRY'S NEW NETFLIX SERIES

    • "Heart Of Invictus" is being produced under the banner of Archewell production, the creative arm of Meghan and Harry's nonprofit foundation Archewell Organisation
    • Netflix said the series will provide behind-the-scenes stories of athletes and organizers as they prepare for the event, which has been delayed until next Spring due to the pandemic
    • Orlando von Einsiedel will direct the multi-episode series and Joanna Natasegara will be its producer, Netflix said
    • Dan Keane

      ANGRY DAD

      Piers Morgan has also described the death threats his sons received after the Prince Harry and Meghan Markle row as “disgusting”.

      His boys – Spencer, Stanley and Albert – were targeted by trolls online amid the furore, leaving Piers furious. 

      "The idea my sons had to be targeted by so-called liberals in a way that was threatening to them, abusive to them… is completely disgusting.”

      The TV host had boys Spencer, Stanley and Albert with his first wife Marion Shalloe.

    • Dan Keane

      PIERS' COMMENTS DISMISSED

      Piers Morgan's claim that Royal Family members privately thanked him for calling out Meghan Markle and Prince Harry has been dismissed by a royal commentator.

      Royal expert Robert Jobson branded Morgan's claims "nonsense" in a tweet responding to author Omid Scobie.

      Mr Scobie wrote: "No comment from Buckingham Palace (yet) but this is quite the claim coming from Piers Morgan, who told @extratv that messages communicated 'on behalf on several members of the Royal Family' have thanked him for standing up against the Sussexes."

      To which Mr Jobson replied: "Sounds like nonsense to me.

      "Can’t imagine members of the Royal Family have Piers Morgan on speed-dial."

    • Dan Keane

      A THIRD OF BRITS DON'T THINK OPRAH CHAT WILL NEGATIVELY IMPACT MONARCHY

      The poll also reveals that 31 per cent of Brits think the Oprah chat has made no difference to the reputation of the monarchy.

      Meanwhile, nine per cent believe they improved the reputation.

      Baby boomer viewers were far more likely to believe the repercussions of the interview are severe.

      Nearly two-thirds of older viewers think the couple have caused damage, compared to fewer than four in 10 millennials.

    • Dan Keane

      POLL – BRITS THINK MEG & HARRY SHOULD BE STRIPPED OF ROYAL TITLES

      Most Brits believe Meghan Markle and Prince Harry should be stripped of their royal titles after their bombshell Oprah interview.

      A new poll has found the chat – which aired almost a month ago – divided the public, with 58 per cent believing they shouldn't be allowed to use the titles.

      Pollsters from Deltapoll gathered opinions three weeks after the tell-all interview aired.

      And just 28 per cent of us believe the royal couple should be allowed to continue on as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

    • Dan Keane

      ARISE SIR PIERS?

      Piers Morgan could soon become a knight of the realm according to the latest odds from Ladbrokes.

      The bookies can report an influx of bets on the outspoken TV presenter being knighted in the next five years at 4/1.

      However, there's shorter odds on offer at just 6/4 the recently out-of-work Morgan is snapped up by GB News.

      Jessica O'Reilly of Ladbrokes said: "Money talks, and punter certainly aren't averse to the idea of Sir Piers. He may be a marmite character, but if his revelations are true and Royals have thanked him for his support over Megxit, then a knighthood isn't out of the realms of possibility."

    • Dan Keane

      MEG'S BEST PAL EXPECTING BABY GIRL

      Meghan Markle's best pal has revealed she is expecting a baby girl.

      Misha Nonoo, a British-Iranian fashion designer, posted a snap of her baby bump on Instagram.

      She is rumoured to have introduced Meghan and Harry many years ago.

      In the caption, she wrote: "My journey into motherhood has been one of the most rewarding and beautiful experiences of my life."

    • Dan Keane

      'CANCEL CULTURE MOB'

      Piers told Fox News host Tucker Carlson a "woke cancel culture mob" drove him out of his morning job with ITV.

      "It's a real thing," he said of cancel culture. "This woke mob wants to cancel people who do not follow the narrative.

      "And it's gotten increasingly dangerous."

    • Dan Keane

      PIERS CLAIMS MEG 'PUT PRESSURE ON GMB BOSSES' TO TAKE ACTION

      Morgan claims that Meghan Markle "put huge pressure" on Good Morning Britain bosses to take action against him before he quit.

      Meghan raised concerns with ITV's CEO after Piers said he didn't believe she had suffered suicidal thoughts following her sensation interview with Oprah Winfrey.

      Piers told Extra's Billy Bush: "It was certainly a very interesting revelation from where I sit, because clearly she was trying to put huge pressure on my bosses to take action against me."

    • Dan Keane

      MEG & HARRY'S NETFLIX PROJECT REVEALED

      Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's first Netflix series has been revealed as an Invictus Games documentary. 

      The Duke and Duchess of Sussex signed a £112m deal with the production company last year after quitting the Royal Family.

      Prince Harry, who will appear on camera and be an executive producer for the documentary, today gushed over the series, saying he couldn't wait for the series to reveal the "mosaic of resilience". 

      In a statement, he said he "couldn't be more excited" for the series, which will "give communities around the world a window into the moving and uplifting stories of these competitors on their path to the Netherlands next year."

    • Dan Keane

      MEG'S HAIRSTYLIST SAYS SHE WAS 'FUN' TO WORK WITH

      Meghan Markle's hairstylist during her time as a Royal has said she was "fun" to work with.

      George Northwood, who has a salon in Fitzrovia, wrote on social media: "It has been an enormous privilege and a lot of fun working with The Duke and Duchess of Sussex over the past two years.

      "I have enjoyed every minute collaborating with this amazing couple who not only champion small businesses but have taught me so much about diversity, equality and the importance of good mental health."

    • Dan Keane

      COTTAGE SIZE 'LED TO FRICTION'

      Meghan Markle and Prince Harry spent a short time living in Nottingham Cottage in the gated grounds of Kensington Palace.

      But an expert has claimed that the size of the cottage "led to friction" between the Sussexes and other Royals.

      Speaking on Channel 5's documentary, 'Meghan & Harry: Two Troubled Years', royal author Tom Quinn said: "Nottingham Cottage is in the grounds of Kensington Palace, and it's quite small.

      "It's tiny compared to the enormous double apartment that Kate and William have.

      "Inevitably that led to friction. In Meghan's world, if you're determined enough, you can get to the top."

    • Dan Keane

      HARRY & MEG WEDDING FIGURINES SLASHED IN PRICE

      Doulton is offloading a Harry and Meghan wedding figurine at a knock-down price.

      The world famous ceramics maker was charging £195 for the limited edition design.

      It made 1,000 of the figurines to mark the couple’s marriage in 2018 but they failed to sell and are now priced at £146.

      Read our exclusive story here.

    • Dan Keane

      BRITS WANT QUEEN TO REMAIN

      The poll also revealed more than 40 per cent of Brits think the Queen should remain in her position until she dies.

      That's compared to 27 per cent who believe the Queen – longest-reigning English monarch in history, who turns 95 this month – should abdicate, but only if she is in ill health.

      Some 47 per cent would then rather seen Prince William, 38, take over, rather than the 72-year-old Prince of Wales who is next in line – despite a huge PR drive by the Palace to over the past two decades to restore his public image after his divorce from Princess Diana.

    • Dan Keane

      BRITS WANT WILL TO BE KING – POLL

      Brits want the crown to skip Prince Charles and instead go straight to Prince William when the Queen's reign comes to an end, a new poll has revealed.

      Almost half of the public want The Duke of Cambridge to be the next monarch, with his father's share of the vote paling by comparison at just 27 per cent.

      Those aged between 18 and 24, however, were more keen to see Prince Harry become King next – despite him being sixth in line for the throne.

      But some 18 per cent of people said Britain should no longer have a monarchy, reports the Mirror based on a survey Deltapoll undertook by interviewing 1,590 adults between March 31 and April 1.

    • Dan Keane

      'DIFFICULT QUESTIONS'

      Asked what he would say to Meghan if he had the chance, Piers told Extra's Billy Bush he would like to ask some "difficult questions" during an interview.

      He said: "I would say to Meghan Markle, 'Look… sit down with me with your husband for an equally long interview… and let me ask you more difficult questions about all your claims.

      "But let me ask you a wider question, which is this: If you hate the royal family that much, why do you keep your royal titles?

      "Why would you do that if it's just not to make millions and millions of dollars?"

    • Dan Keane

      'THERE WAS AN ATTEMPT TO CANCEL ME'

      Piers Morgan has hit out at critics for attempting to "cancel" him for criticising Meghan Markle and Prince Harry.

      The former GMB host said: "There's been an attempt to cancel me.

      "There've been many attempts like this before, and somehow I remain resolutely uncancelled.

      "In the end, I was required to apologise for disbelieving Meghan Markle, who I don't believe – and I believe, which is ironic, that you should not believe somebody if you don't want to."

    • Dan Keane

      'CAN'T COMPARE'

      Meghan Markle's bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey cannot be compared to Princess Diana's with Martin Bashir, a royal expert has claimed.

      Pauline Maclaren, author of Royal Fever: The British Monarchy in Consumer Culture, told the Mirror: "I don't think the [Meghan and Harry] interview can be really rated in a similar way to the Diana interview, which really turned the public very much against the royal family here.

      "When Diana did her interviews, that was after they had suffered many other things during that period, so that was a sort of culminating scandal or the culmination of a series of scandals, really.

      "This time, I think it's just not quite the same and particularly because Harry and Meghan had already left."

    • Dan Keane

      PIERS SAYS ROYALS REACHED OUT TO HIM

      Piers Morgan has claimed that members of the Royal Family have reached out to him to thank him for calling out Meghan Markle and Prince Harry after their Oprah interview.

      He told Extra TV host Billy Bush: "I’ve had some messages communicated to me on behalf of several members of the royal family.

      "I’m not going to go into who it was but [it was] gratitude that somebody was standing up."

      Piers dramatically quit Good Morning Britain after questioning Meghan's allegations of racism made against the Palace as well as claims that her calls for mental health support were ignored.

    • John Hall

      PRINCE HARRY WANTS ROYAL FAMILY TO ‘APOLOGISE’ OVER TREATMENT OF MEGHAN – REPORTS

      Prince Harry wants the royal family to “apologise” over the treatment of his wife Meghan Markle, reports in the US claim.

      The unnamed source told US Weekly: “The problem with Harry is that he’s hooked on being right and regardless of saying he wants to move on from this.

      “He won’t back down until he gets some form of apology from his family.”

    • John Hall

      MORGAN LABELS PRINCE HARRY A ‘WHINY BRAT’

      Piers Morgan has lashed out at Prince Harry calling him a “whiny brat” in his interview with Fox News.

      The former GMB host told the US news channel: “What’s happened to that guy? He’s turned into this whiny brat. 

      “In his mid-thirties, complaining that his dad isn’t still financing everything that he does. Complaining that he was cut off by daddy and his millions.

      “Actually that wasn’t true either – It turns out Prince Charles had carried on financing him.

      “And remember Harry inherited millions when his mother died.”

      Read all the details here.

    • John Hall

      KATE & WILLIAM URGED BY FANS TO REACH OUT TO WILLS & MEGHAN

      Prince William and Kate Middleton have been urged to "reach out" to Meghan Markle and Prince Harry by royal fans.

      Fans took to the Twitter page of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge after the couple posted an Easter message.

      “Why don't you call your sister in law and wish Duchess Megan. happy Easter?” Tweeted a royal fan.

      Another follower replied to the tweet, calling for them to "speak" to Harry and Meghan "with love".

    • John Hall

      KATE WASN'T PREPARED FOR ROYAL LIFE, JUST LIKE MEGHAN – ROYAL BIOGRAPHER

      Kate Middleton wasn't prepared for royal life, just like Meghan Markle, a royal biographer has claimed.

      Princess Diana's biographer Andrew Morton said Meghan Markle wasn't the only woman who entered royal life unprepared for the role.

      He told the Royally Obsessed podcast: "During the interview, she said, 'Nobody told me about the national anthem.' Quite frankly, they don't tell you.

      "It's not like there's a school for princesses where you sit there and go through the procedures from A to Z. You learn it at the knee, you learn it from experience."

      "Even Catherine Middleton, the point I'd make about her is that yes, she had the support of her family, and yes, she was British and knew what was expected, but nobody can prepare you for the level of intensity and the level of interest in you," Morton said. 

    Source: Read Full Article