Thousands of households can get up to £700 help including supermarket vouchers – how to claim | The Sun

THOUSANDS of households are in line for help worth up to £700 to help with the cost of living.

It comes via the Household Support Fund which is worth £842million.

The Government has split the pot of money between local councils in England who then decide how they want to distribute their share.

That means what you are entitled to depends on where you live, but in most cases help is offered to those on a low income or benefits.

Lancaster Council is offering help to residents who are struggling financially.

They can get help worth up to £700 to pay for utility bills, food, housing costs and household appliances.

Read more in Money

Martin Lewis’ MSE warns thousands have weeks left to claim £400 free cash

Major high street bank closing 15 more branches – is your local shutting?

The help will come in the form of vouchers or physical goods.

Who is eligible and how do I apply?

You have to meet certain criteria to be entitled to the help. To be eligible, you must be:

  • aged 16 or over 
  • a resident of the Lancaster District 
  • experiencing financial hardship and struggling to afford essential items or living costs 
  • be willing to engage with Citizens Advice and Lancaster City Council

You have to complete a short online form on Lancaster Council's website to apply.

Most read in Money


Cadbury makes change to chocolate recipe & shoppers might not like it


Martin Lewis' MSE warns thousands have weeks left to claim £400 free cash


Major high street bank closing 15 more branches – is your local shutting?


I tried supermarket G&T cans – a Gordon's rival costs 95p but tasted like water

Alternatively, you can call 01524 582000 and press option 7 to be put through to an advisor who will be able to complete the form for you.

You'll need some paperwork to hand before you apply though.

You must provide at least one month of recent bank statements for all adults within the household and a full breakdown of any benefit statement – this might be a Universal Credit statement.

You can provide these as part of your application or via email to [email protected].

Once applications are submitted, you should receive a call within five working days to book a phone appointment with an advisor who will talk you through next steps.

Can I get help if I don't live in Lancaster?

Yes you can. But the help on offer varies depending on where you live.

That's because councils across England have all been given a unique share of the £842million fund.

The help comes in different ways as well.

You might receive a voucher to help pay for energy bills or food and you might get a cash payment direct into your bank account.

The best thing to do is contact your local council to see what help you might be eligible for.

If you don't know what council area you fall under, you can use the Government's council locator tool.

You just have to enter your postcode and it will tell you what authority area you are in.

What other help is coming?

It's not just the Household Support Fund offering struggling households help.

The Government is handing out three cost of living payments worth £900, £150-£300 and £150 to millions of people.

The first £900 payment has been split into three instalments worth £301, £300 and £299.

The first £301 instalment should be made to all eligible people by May 17. The remaining two are set to be paid in autumn and spring 2024.

Meanwhile, the £150-£300 payment will be made to millions of pensioners this winter.

You will be eligible for the top up if you are eligible for the Winter Fuel payment in 2023/24.

Lastly, the £150 payment will be made to millions with disabilities.

You may be entitled to the payment if you get any of the following benefits on a certain date:

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance for adults
  • Disability Living Allowance for children
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Adult Disability Payment (in Scotland)
  • Child Disability Payment (in Scotland)
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • War Pension Mobility Supplement

That's not all. There's a whole host of freebies you can get if you are on certain benefits.

Read More on The Sun

This Morning insiders confirm Phillip and Holly WILL return to show tomorrow

S Club 7’s Hannah Spearritt QUITS reunion tour after Paul Cattermole’s death

Plus, if you are struggling to pay for your energy bills, with the average household forking out £2,500 a year currently, a number of energy companies offer grants.

This includes British Gas, Octopus Energy, E.ON and OVO Energy.

Do you have a money problem that needs sorting? Get in touch by emailing [email protected]

Source: Read Full Article