Hollywood-owned Wrexham condemn their own fans for booing the minute’s silence for the Queen at their game on Tuesday – and reveal those who jeered were thrown out ‘for their own safety’
- Minute’s silence for the Queen was marred by boos and shouts from some fans
- Wrexham released a statement on Wednesday lamenting those for their actions
- Some who spoiled silence asked to leave the ground for their own safety
Wrexham have condemned their own supporters who booed the minute’s silence in honour of Queen Elizabeth II before their National League match on Tuesday evening.
The silence was disturbed from the outset with a number of supporters in the Kop end choosing to jeer during the solemn moment, held following the death of Her Majesty at the age of 96 last Thursday.
A section of their fellow supporters were heard attempting to shush them down, while other fans remained on the concourse until the moment had passed.
In a statement on Wednesday morning, Wrexham said they were ‘disappointed’ by those who chose to spoil the moment.
‘It was disappointing to hear the one-minute silence before the 4-1 victory against Dagenham & Redbridge disturbed by a small number of individuals among the 9835 in attendance,’ the club said.
‘To have the club’s name in the media this morning for all the wrong reasons, is not a scenario that should have occurred and we wish to apologise to all who were offended by the actions of the minority, while thanking the vast majority who did observe the one-minutes silence.’
With some fans not heeding the advice, others took it upon themselves to let them know that it was not acceptable. Some supporters were forced to leave the ground for their own safety, Wrexham said.
‘A number of the individuals who disturbed the one-minute silence were asked to leave the Racecourse Ground for their own safety,’ the club said in its statement.
Several fans booed the minute’s silence for the Queen ahead of Wrexham’s National League home game against Dagenham and Redbridge
Wrexham had released a statement prior to the game urging supporters whose views do not align with the monarchy to remain respectful during the minute’s silence.
Some supporters’ booing of the national anthem at the club’s FA Trophy final loss to Bromley in May had increased fears that a section would not respect the moment’s silence in honour of the Queen.
‘We have a simple request, regardless of your own personal opinions, which we recognise everyone is entitled to; on this occasion, you leave these at the turnstiles of the Racecourse Ground and do not use the one-minute silence to promote your own views over those of others,’ they had written ahead of Tuesday’s win over Dagenham.
Wrexham released a statement condemning those for booing the minute’s silence on Tuesday
Liverpool (right) and Ajax players stand for a moment of silence prior to their European clash
Elsewhere, periods of silence held before matches on Tuesday were observed by some but not all.
Booing had been feared at Anfield for Liverpool’s clash against Ajax on Tuesday evening, but those concerns did not fully come to pass. The majority observed the moment’s silence with a few isolated shouts drowned out by fellow supporters.
In Lisbon, a few shouts could be heard while the Sporting and Tottenham players lined up around the centre circle to observe the moment’s silence. It was not clear via the television where these jeers came from.
In the Football League, tributes were aplenty. At the Riverside Stadium, for example, a picture of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II was held up on the scoreboard before Middlesbrough’s fixture with Cardiff City.
Ipswich Town blacked out their match programme for the visit of Bristol Rovers. They also adorned it with a tribute to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on the back cover too
In League One, Ipswich Town blacked out their match programme for their encounter against Bristol Rovers. They also adorned it with a tribute to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on the back cover.
The Champions League match between Rangers and Napoli at Ibrox was moved from Tuesday night to Wednesday night because of limited police resources during the Scottish leg of the period of mourning for the Queen.
No away supporters will be admitted to Ibrox with Rangers fans now barred from travelling to Naples for the return match in late October.
Meanwhile Preston North End on on Tuesday confirmed they had banned a supporter for life for comments about the Queen and the Royal Family.
The Met Police have insisted ‘the public have a right to protest’ after a man said an officer told him that he risked being arrested if he wrote ‘not my King’ on a placard.
Premier League football was put on hold last weekend following the death of Queen Elizabeth
The Premier League gets back underway this weekend after last week’s postponements in the aftermath of the Queen’s death.
All fixtures apart from Liverpool’s visit to Chelsea, Manchester United’s hosting of Leeds and Crystal Palace’s trip to Brighton will go ahead as planned.
Clubs are facing a fixture pile up with postponements only adding to the hectic schedule ahead of November’s World Cup.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article