Met Police firearms officer who fatally shot father-to-be Chris Kaba after police chase in south London is suspended from duty
- Mr Kaba died after being hit by a single round from a police weapon last Monday
- His Audi had been hemmed in by police after a chase through Streatham Hill
- The IOPC police watchdog opened a homicide investigation into the incident
- It has now been confirmed the officer involved has been suspended from duty
The police officer who fatally shot Chris Kaba has been suspended from duty by the Met.
Mr Kaba, 24, a father-to-be, was unarmed when he died following a car chase in South London on Monday, September 5.
The Audi he was travelling in was hemmed in by two police cars on a residential street in Streatham Hill, and a firearms officer shot at him with a police weapon.
He was hit by a single round and despite CPR being given, was pronounced dead upon arrival at hospital the same night.
Since his death the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) has opened homicide and disciplinary investigations into what happened.
Meanwhile, Mr Kaba’s family had called for the officer who shot him to be suspended, something which was confirmed to have happened tonight.
Chris Kaba, 24, was shot dead by armed police on Monday, September 5, following a car chase
Police performed CPR on Mr Kaba and he was rushed to hospital but he died shortly after
Flowers and candles left on Kirkstall Gardens in tribute to Mr Kaba, who died after being hit by a single firearm round
On Monday evening Met Police Assistant Commissioner Amanda Pearson said: ‘This decision has been reached following careful consideration of a number of factors, including the significant impact on public confidence, and in light of the Independent Office for Police Conduct announcing a homicide investigation.
‘Our thoughts and sympathies remain with Mr Kaba’s family and friends.
‘We understand how concerned communities are, particularly black communities, and thank those who are working closely with our local officers.’
Ms Pearson had said on Friday that the officer involved was not currently on operational duties and their work status would be ‘carefully considered going forward’.
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said he supported the Met’s move to suspend the officer.
Mr Khan said: ‘I welcome this decision and am in regular contact with the IOPC and the new Commissioner.
‘My thoughts remain with Chris Kaba’s loved ones at this intensely difficult time as the IOPC continue their independent homicide investigation.’
Mr Kaba’s death last week in Kirkstall Gardens, a narrow residential street, prompted protests over the weekend, with members of the public demanding action.
Protests were staged in London on Saturday, September 10, demanding justice in the Chris Kaba case
Hundreds took the streets around Whitehall and Trafalgar Square in protest to Mr Kaba’s death
In a statement issued on the family’s behalf, Daniel Machover, head of civil litigation at solicitors Hickman & Rose, said: ‘Following a police stop in Streatham, south-west London, shortly after 10pm on Monday September 5, a firearms officer employed by the MPS (Metropolitan Police Service) fired a fatal shot at Chris Kaba while he was seated, unarmed, in a car.
‘On being notified of the death of Chris Kaba, the IOPC should have immediately opened a homicide and disciplinary investigation. The family was shocked to learn on Wednesday, September 7, that the IOPC had still not done so and demanded a change of heart without delay.
‘The family therefore welcome the IOPC’s decisions on Friday, September 9, to open homicide and disciplinary investigations against that firearms officer, however belatedly.
‘The family now await the outcome of that investigation, but seek a charging decision in this case in weeks or a few months, not years.’
Source: Read Full Article